Tonk is located 96 Km. away from Jaipur. This is a quiet town which was ruled by 'Pathans' from Afghanistan. The focal point of Tonk is the Suneri Kothi, the Golden Bungalow. A fairly ordinary looking monument from outside, it has stunningly rich ornamental interiors. There are some interesting buildings that accommodated the British office. Tonk is also famous for its leather and felt industry and one can pick up a good bargain from the markets. The Nawab of Tonk was an avid book lover and built a sizable library of Arabic and Persian manuscripts. The Arabic and Persian Research Institute is also located here.
ARABIC PERSIAN RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Arabic Persian Research Institute in Tonk is the premier Indian Institute engaged in promotion and furtherance of Arabic and Persian studies. This institute was established by the Government of Rajasthan in 1978 with the objective of preserving and conserving the sources of Persian and Arabic Manuscripts available in Rajasthan.
Some of the important and historical manuscripts are displayed in a separate hall with the name of “Display Hall”. Namda Calligraphy, the art of charming photography, collection of postage stamps etc. are displayed in and art Gallery started in 2002. Calligraphy on human hair, pulse, rice and sesame along with the lines written inside the transparent glass bottles are main attractions for many visitors.
*Source : http://www.rajasthantourism.gov.in/ Please Click Here for Virtral Tour of Arabic Persian Research Institute
SUNHARI KOTHI, TONK
Sunhari Kothi (Mansion of Gold) is a magnificent hall in the city of Tonk in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
The hall in within the old palace complex, white walls and ceilings are one sumptuous expanse of enamel mirror-work, gilt and painted glass illuminated through stained-glass windows. The entire effect is that of an exquisite piece of enamel jewellery blown up to the size of a hall.
It is said that, it was built by Nawab Mohammed Ibrahim Ali Khan (1867-1930), the Nawab of Tonk, for poetry recitals, dance, and music.
Situated 30 kilometers from Tonk- Sawai Madhopur Highway, the Hathi Bhata Tonk Rajasthan is one of the beautiful monuments in Rajasthan India. Carved out from a single stone this is a stone elephant which attracts tourists from all over to this place. Indianholiday.com offers online information on Hathi Bhata, Tonk Rajasthan and other tourist attractions of Rajasthan and other parts of India.
Located in the dry and arid zones of Rajasthan, Tonk is a little district in Rajasthan. The Tonk is the administrative headquarters of the state. Bounded by Jaipur and Sawai Madhopur Tonk is one of the biggest producers of sandstone.
BISALDEO TEMPLE & BISALPUR DAM
Bisalpur or Vigrahapura was founded by the Chahamana ruler Vigraharaja IV in the twelfth century A.D. Bisalpur was preceded by a still older city called Vanapura, which seems to have been ruled by the Takshakas (Nagas) of Todarai Singh. The importance of Bisalpur is due to its temple of Gokarnesvara, also known as Bisal Deoji’s temple, constructed by Vigraharaja IV or Visala, who was a devotee of Gokarna. The temple (22.20 m x 15.30 m) has a pancharatha sanctum, antarala, square mandapa and portico with sikhara. The sanctum enshrines a linga. The temple surmounted by a hemispherical dome, is supported on eight tall pillars carved on the lower section with floral festoons, chain-and-bell, and circular medallions. There are several short inscriptions which record the visit of pilgrims from time to time. The earliest of these is dated A.D. 1154-65 and the inscription is important for mentioning the Chahamana chief Prithviraja III.
HADI RANI BAORI, TODARAISINGH
The step-tank is rectangular on plan with double-storeyed corridors on the western side, each having arched doorway. Below the lower storey, there are images of Brahma, Ganesa and Mahishasuramardini which are enshrined in niches. On all the three sides, steps are arranged in sets of thirteen each at the higher level and five each at the lower level, going up to the water level. It is datable to circa twelfth-thirteenth century A.D.
DIGGI KALYAN JI TEMPLE
This is a very old temple, the antiquity of which is fabulous. The pinnacle of the temple (Shikhar) is magnificent. There are sixteen pillars supporting the Shikhar which has become extremely attractive because of the statuettes incurved thereon. The Sanctum Sanctorum, circulatory path, Jagmohan therein are a fine example of elegant architecture in marble. Adjacent is the temple Laxmi Narayan Ji. On the front gateway beautiful figures and statuettes have been incurved.